Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving Thanks


I celebrated Thanksgiving with my little family on Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve, because my son had to work on Thanksgiving Day. It was my mom, my sons David and Dale, and Danielle, who is David’s girlfriend. I fixed an 8lb turkey breast, STOVE TOP stuffing, cranberries, green bean casserole, mashed garlic potatoes, yams, ambrosia, dinner rolls, a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. Danielle came over early in the day and helped Dale and I prepare food. We had a good day, visiting and listening to music in the kitchen. Dale and I had a chance to get to know Danielle better. Mom was here, watching game shows and reading, as usual. When David came home from work, all the food was ready and we ate together, except for mom, she ate later, as she usually does. The boys dad, Steve, had to go to work late that night so he came over and had dinner on his way to work.
After we ate we started watching a movie and guess what? We all fell asleep!! Haha!! It was really a great day.
Thanksgiving morning I received a phone call, bright and early, from my grandsons who wanted to come and spend the day with me because Auntie Shelly had to work all day. I went and picked them up and brought them over, they chose to have McDonald’s for lunch, so that’s what we had. Andrew and Julian helped Uncle Dale hang Christmas lights on the house, then Uncle Dale made the boys a tire swing from the big Oak in our back yard. My 15 year old is pretty handy to have around, he enjoys keeping the little ones entertained. Andrew and I played a few games of cards, I taught him how to play rummy and we played that, speed and war. Andrew is 10. Today is Friday, it’s just after noon and the boys are still here, we have had a quiet morning. Just wanted to share the great part of my Thanksgiving with you all.
The sucky part of Thanksgiving was that neither my brother or sister showed up to see my mom. They chose not to call either. It just really pisses me off. I’m anxious to see what happens on Sunday, that will be my mom’s 83rd birthday.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm sorry about your bro or sis... not showing up. As I said on twitter... sad, but their loss. Happy Birthday to mom... 83 years young. Fantastic. BTW, that turkey is making my mouth water... :)